Thoughts and experiences from this simple creature, called Chris. How well do you know him? Do you even care? Probably less so, after reading this:

Wednesday, April 18

I bought a deep fat fryer!

Yes!! I've been looking for a cheap one of these for a long time.
They are not easy to find in Japan. Well, you can find them in Akihabara, but they are tiny things that will only fry half a handfull of chips.
This baby I bought at the Teasure Factory, recycle store, near my home.
At 1,500yen (with 6 months guarantee), it was a bargain.

When I bought it, it was not in perfect condition. It hadn't been cleaned.
I took it apart with my screwdriver and cleaned out the inside.
I cleaned the filter as best I could (it was full of grease and oil and wasn't easy to clean) and put the thing back together.

Then, it was time for a test run.
I went down to my local supermarket and bought some shoestring potatoes and some crinkle cut potatoes.
The basket on this thing is big enough to make a nice double portion of chips - great!!

I can also make some fried fish and other stuff in this baby!

Anyway, back to the test:
First, I decided to go with the shoestring potatoes. I wasn't quite sure if I had reassembled the thermostat in the right position (took it apart without noting the original settings - I never learn).
I needed something to test the temperature with. A few shoestring potatoes would cook fast and give me fastest results - so in they went!

Here's how the shoestring potatoes came out:
Not bad, but they could have been cooked longer.


Next, it was time for the crinkle cut chips
(oh, I missed crinkle cut chips!):
Nice!!! Especially nice, coated with salt and malt vinegar.

Finally, I fried a few eggs (in the frying pan) and made myself some nice egg and chips.

Lovely!!!

Verdict for my deep fat fryer: 9/10!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home