Thoughts and experiences from this simple creature, called Chris. How well do you know him? Do you even care? Probably less so, after reading this:

Thursday, April 5

A threesome in Shizuoka!!!! - yes, finally!

Reading the brews news I came across an opportunity of a Sunday (not quite a lifetime but an opportunity, nonetheless). Apparently, there's a bus trip planned to take on 3 interesting microbreweries near Mount Fuji.

The three beer locales are:
  • Fujisakura kogen's Sylvans Beer Restaurant, near Kawaguchiko.
  • Bayern Meister Beer Restaurant, near Gotenba.
  • Baird Beer at The Taproom, Numazu.

The cost for this trip is 5,000yen, which includes all transport but unfortunately does not include the cost of beer. I'm hoping to go on this trip. Anyone who cares to join me and get well and truly inebriated, let me know and we can have a beer or nine.

The bus leaves at 9am on Sunday, April 22nd and returns at around 10pm (same day!).

Fujisakura kougen beer at Sylvans, near Kawaguchiko has my favourite Japanese weissen as well as a nice pils and a rauch beer thats also good and they have great garden space, set in the forest which is also unfortunately next to friggin Doggieland (you'll see, if you go there). Highly recommended.

The view from the area - can you see Mt.Fuji?

The front of Sylvans, and the security:
The chief brewer - nice guy:

The pils:

The wiess:

The rauch (smoked):

View of the main beer hall:

Here is the conservatory (gorgeous when it's sunny!
- you can also drink outside, in the lovely garden):


There are also facilities for the furrier friends:


Love all their beer!

The chief brewer is a good guy. The workers there were good to me when I got completely smashed and missed the last bus back to town. Also they helped me open boxes of at least 30 glasses before I found one which I thought was not scratched but later at home it turned out to be an old glass which was dirty looking when dry but fine with beer in.

The trip plans to spend 90 minutes here. This includes lunch.


The second place on the itinerary is Bayern Meister beer.

Never been there.I think it's near Gotenba.
It seems they offer 3 beers. A helles, an edelweiss and a doppelbock(?).
Maybe nothing special here. 1 hour to drink your fill then the bus is off.
Why they didn't decide to go to Gotenba kogen is beyond me.


A far better place would be Gotenba Kougen which has a decent selection of German style beers including:

Oh, good times were had by all (me!!!)!


Lastly, the bus willl take you to Numazu harbor and Baird Beer's brewery restaurant, The Taproom.

Everyone who knows anything about Japanese craft beer knows Baird Beer.
It's everyfreakinwhere!
It seems that the beer tasters and beer afficionados of Japan really want to suck Mr.Baird's member, as they cannot praise his beer enough.
I think they all more or less taste the same (same hopping leads to the 'Baird taste' - as apposed to the 'Beard taste', which, from experience means you can taste f*ck all through your whiskers as the nose is taken out of the equation). Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the beer or saying it's crap. So far, only the wheat king ale I would put into that category. The others, well, they are good in their own way but still there's the... ...well, the Baird Taste.
You just have to try a few to know what I mean. Recently, Mr.Baird has employed an assistant brewer. This bubbly young lady has introduced some pretty good beer, in my humble opinionated opinion. The malty Eighty Schilling Ale made a great session beer and reminded me of the stuff back home, when I was so much younger. Look out for some interesting beers in the future. The Taproom is in a great location and offers a nice view of the harbour (ufortunately, there are no car chases which end in the bad guys crashing through a pile of boxes and smashing into the water. However, that isn't to say that some old fishing man or two isn't going to slip near the edge and go ass over tip into the drink - just keep your eyes open and remember to grease the harbour's edge.). The inside of the bar is very well laid out, in an "I'm a lumberjck so I'm okay" sort of way, with a cosy, homely feel added. Very nice and conducive to some good drinking.
They offer the regular seven or so year round beers, plus a few seasonal concoctions they 'brew up' from time to time.

Of the food, I recommend the chilli. It's not bad, but it's not cheap either.
My friend David recommends the all-you-can-eat pretzels and nuts, because they are cheap (also, I have a sneaky suspicion he secretly likes the thought of putting someone's nuts in his mouth).

Of the beers available year round, I prefer the Shimaguni Stout, the Kurofune Porter and the Teikoku IPA.

A quality selection of quality beers but slightly similar in background tastes and I'm sorry, but when I drink them I am lacking multiple orgasms so I don't quite understand the enthusiasm shown by the "I wanna do that scene off When Harry Met Sally" respected drinkers out there.


There you go.
A threesome in Shizuoka.
Should be interesting.

Anyone up for a threesome with me?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home