Thoughts and experiences from this simple creature, called Chris. How well do you know him? Do you even care? Probably less so, after reading this:

Saturday, October 7

Upcoming Oktoberfest in Yokohama.

I, being the intrepid and daring reporter that I am, tried out the Oktober est tent in the Red brick warehouse area in Yokohama. I got there late. I'd already been a a school function in a very classy hotel in the area.
The food was great but I didn't eat much.
Cakes were good.
I had a few beers... followed by a few wines (red, white, red)...then a few beers... then a few glasses of sake (beer glasses of sake - I was challenged by a guy who boasted that he had at least 5 big glasses of sake a day - back home we wouldn't boast about something like that)...followed by more beer.I was already wasted.
Well and truly.
I staggered to the Oktoberfest tent at about 8:40.
the event was closing at 9.
Bugger.
HAd some time to stumble around teh beer vendors and check out the place, ready for SAturday.
To be honest, I only got as far as the beer tents.

I started talking to the guys working there and I managed to get some tasters out of them. I had about 8 or 9 beers for free. Great! I tried to give them some intelligible responses as to the hopping, the alcohol content, the beer style and where perhaps the ingredients came from etc. but I'm not sure how lucid I was, because, you see... ...I was very, very drunk.
Here's a photo of some of the vendors.I think there was Shonan beer, Yokohama beer (the lady there wouldn't give me a free sample - she was probably a lesbian and frigid. Either that or she wasn't stupid and didn't fall for my little 'free taster' rouse), Echigo beer and some others I can't remember right now.

I remember eventually trying to buy a beer. The Spaaten was what I wanted. Found the place where they served it. There were 2 German guys there (token Germans employed to pour beer). They were cool guys. I told them 1500yen was way too much for a beer. They said "This is Japan!" And I said "Yeah, and I'm not Japanese." (This could be Disneyland - do I look like Mickey Mouse?).
The guys taking the money was the manager of the German Farm Grill in Shibuya. He recognized me and gave me 5 500yen vouchers for Saturday!
I ordered a 1000yen Spaaten helles (good beer). I went to the bar and straight away the German guy from Munich (right side) gave me a ready poured beer! He whispered to me that it was actually a 1500yen October fest marzen beer! Cool! The sneaky German!
Here's a photo of the two of them:
Thanks, guys!

I talked with them a little and we drank together, while they were closing down (it was 9pm).
The guy on the elft was born in the Urals of Russsia.
He speaks 4 languages! He told me he liked Franziskaner ( a wheat beer from Munich).
I told him I also liked it and he went to the back and came back with a big bottle for me! Cool!
We sat dwon together and had a beer and talked and then the Russian German came back with some fried cheese/sausage food which he gave to me.
Boy, my stomach was in a bad way. It took me a long time to eat it and drink the expensive beer (3which was about 6.5%alc- I was so drunk, it was tough to finish it).
I hope I see the guys on Saturday.
THey left later with some girls.
I lost them.
I staggered around Sakuragicho and walked back to Yokohama, singing all the way.
Here are some pics of the new Bay Quarter area.

I got home about 12:30 or 1am.
Can't remember much.

Today, just had these 2 beauties.
a Sapporo classic (commemorating 130 years).

Nice. 6/10.


The 2nd is a can of Beck's German beer. Nice beer.
Also ate 2 bars of chocolate, just to finish off my healthy options for the night.


It's 4:30 am, Saturday morning.
Almost sunrise.
Better get to sleep.
Got a lot of drinking to do today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home