Thoughts and experiences from this simple creature, called Chris. How well do you know him? Do you even care? Probably less so, after reading this:

Saturday, October 21

Boy, what did I do last night? Why do I have a broomstick on my balcony?

Went out last night.
It was a last minute decision.
I met my friend, Neil in a cheap bar in Shibuya.
200yen beers. That's pretty cheap for Japan.
No. That's very cheap for Japan.
It's called Tasuichi.


Things were going ok.
The place was pumping. Full of people.
We'd drink a beer each, then go and get another one.
The pace was nice and controlled.
Then, Neil had this amazing idea to just buy 3or 4beers each at a time, to save going back to the bar every time. And I went along with it.
I should have known better.
Well, in no time at all, we were plastered.
Making friends and enemies left right and centre.
I remmeber introducing 3 nice, unsuspecting Germans as Christina, Christoff and Christian and insisting that every foreigner in that bar was called Chris.
I also remember meeting loads of Frenchmen who all played rugby and wanted to score with this hot lady who was actually playing the room. I'd seen her before at this place and realised that she was a bit of a player, so "Danger, young Robertson! Danger!" alarms went off in my head. Stayed well away.
Met a decent Kiwi guy, from the Garden City. My brain couldn't get his t-shirt.
What can I say? Beer kills brain cells.
Glen, let's have a beer again soon!



Took a photo of our table.



Here's a close up shot of the sign on the table:


Hard to see from the lack of light and quality of my cell phone camera, but the sign on the table reads "Assorted weiner - 500yen". Thought it was funny - at the time.

Seem to remember accidentally touching this 18yr old girl's ass a few time who was drunkenly propped up against out table. Nice enough girl. Honest, it was an accident... ...again and again.

So, we were drinking and singing and dancing...
Well, we were drinking, anyway.

Another friend, Dave made a quick cameo and then dissapeared for the last train.
No pic of him this time.
At about 1:45, I decided to pop out and head to the nearby Aldgate pub,, to have a quality beer.
I had a pint of Weltenberger hefeweissen. About 1,000yen (Japan prices). A good German wheat beer that you can buy in bottles at Yamaya, Shibuya for 500yen. They have almost the whole Weltenberger range. Hefeweissen, barock helles (good), assam bock, pilsner, dunkel. Good slection of beers.
Not a wheat beer glass but then I have enogh of them in my home.

Okay, back to the other place and Neil is still drinking, oblivious to the fact that we've missed our last train home (or perhaps not).
I think the barman took my order for a beer top a bit too seriously:

Before I knew it, Neil siezed on this double beer and proceeded to draw it to his waiting lips. No! That's my beer!!!






Here's Neil. Married. With child. Throwing it all away.


At about 3 or so, the place closed and the strange Frenchmen were gone. We made our way to the station which was not due to open for another hour or so.
Neil walked on ahead to his regluar haunt that is notoriously known as Roppongi.
It was a long walk.
I tried to keep up but I think it was somewhere around here that I picked up the broomstick.
Can't remember exactly what happened, but suddenly I was shouting to Neil who was up ahead in the distance and trying to impress him with my Harry Potter impression. Don't think he could hear me or see me, he was that far ahead.
I then said screw it and suddenly gave in to my hunger pangs (I hadn't eaten that day) and headed into a curry house. I had a bowl of giudon (sliced beer on a bowl of rice). Good.
When I came out, Neil was gone.
I tried calling him but no answer.
I decided ot walk back to Shibuya. Screw him.
I have my broomstick.
I again went into another small eatery and ordered a bowl of curry with some hot soba noodles, close to the station.
Mmmm...good! I really needed to get something solid inside me (but Neil was gone and the broomstick was 5 feet long, so I settled for the curry and soba).
Then I think neil called me or I called him. He said he was in Roppongi.
Bugger.
I decided to walk to Roppongi.
Somehow, I got lost. I ended up about a km or so off course.
That was when, purely by chance, Ibumped into 2 other friends of mine (I think it's safe to call them that).
Laurel and Har-I mean, Dave and Eamon!
They were assaulting a row of vending machines.
I flew up on my broomstick and managed to figure out that one machine had somehow swallowed Eamon's driver's liscence and wouldn't give it back. Dave was doing his technician thing, behind the machine, when suddenly all the power went dead.

Dave must have unplugged the thing.
Here's some bad quality footage from my phone camera:


Eamon was getting worried. More stumbling in the dark followed and various machines were powered up and switched off again until finally Dave got the right plug in the right socket and purely by chance the machine with Eamon's card in came back to life. I'm not quite sure if Eamon got his card back, because soon after then, I flew off.

I think I took this outside some convenience store, somewhere near Roppongi. I met Neil, sleeping on a bar stool in Mogambo's bar, Roppongi.
We then went to a nearby place (can't remember the name) and had a few games of pool ( I ended up winning the last game. 'Lucky', Neil would call it. That was when it was Neil's turn to pay for the game and that was when he decided it was time to go home.).
But first, I wanted to get some fluids in me (no, don't go there).
I was feeling dehydrated, so we went off in search of a convenience store.
I had this theory that if Neil stayed close to me and my bromstick, then the abundant Chinese massage girls won't approach him.
This theory proved true. He never got approached once., Not by the Chinese "Hey mister, wanna massaji? You wanna special massaji? han job?" ladies nor by the African guys trying to get you in their clubs. And as soon as he left the protection of my broomstick magic, he got approached for a massage within 10 seconds!
We got on the train and I managed to get to my station, with loads of my students coming to school, watching their teacher getting off a train, carrying a broomstick at 7:30am.

So that's the story of the broomstick on my balcony.
Still not sure where I got it from.

Needless to say, the beer festival for today was put on hold until tomorrow.
120 beers. Hope I dont get too wasted.
Again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home