Thoughts and experiences from this simple creature, called Chris. How well do you know him? Do you even care? Probably less so, after reading this:

Wednesday, May 30

Fixed my camera - again

I had a problem with photos on my camera.I kept geting blotches in the top left corner. These showed up worse in high contrast areas like sky shots.
Here's an example:
The blurry splodges are a pain in the a**se and are due to dust on the CCD.

Well, I knew from experience that I could probably fix this.

Before commencing my do-it-myself fix, I took a 'before' shot, to compare to an 'after' shot, after I'd finished.
I chose the wall of my apartment, since it's white(ish).

Here's the 'before' shot:
You can see the main two blurry patches, in the top right of the shot.
I figured there will be at least 2 pieces of dust or hair on the LCD.
Often with this camera, the lens openenig out tends to suck air into the lens cavity.
somtimes, dust can also get sucked in and stick on the LCD or inside the lens.

Well, I got my MP3 player jacked up (rock - of course), got a nice cool Beck's out of the fridge and set to work.
I'd unscrewed the main 7 screws holding the body together ad then proceeeded to remove the LCD screen from the body.
Then I removed the metal housing for the LCD screen, along with the 2 retaining screws.
Finallly, I removed the 2 scres holding the CCD in place over the lens.

I carefully (and without sneezing) pulled back the housing for the CCD.

It was then that my suspicions were confirmed.
I could indeed see 2 nasty ass pieces of dust (as opposed to 2 nasty pieces of ass dust -how they got on the sensor beggars belief) on the sensor (click on the picture to see full size version):
Dayam!!!!

I need to blow away the dust with a small air pump I had from my cheap camera kit.
It did the job.
I was very carefull not to touch the lens or the CCD sensor.
It was then that I dropped a screw onto the lens.
Nuts!

Luckily I had a magnetically tipped screwdriver and I easily picked the bugger out of there.
Then I carefully reassembled the whole shebang and took an 'after' shot of my wall:
Voiala!!!!
Lovely. Job done.
Les than 20 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home